Our first guest for this episode is See Eun who was into breakdancing and danced professionally for more than 10 years. He served in the military, curated and wrote for a hip-hop blog and lead hip-hop education efforts before the Bitcoin bug bit him. He started ‘The Blockchainers”, the first Blockchain Cryptocurrency YouTube channel in Korea with his co-host Young Hoon who is the other guest on the show.
Young Hoon majored in math and computer science at the University of Oxford and upon graduation had short stints in McKinsey and Macquarie before also serving in the military in Somalia for a counter-piracy mission for the Korean army.
Together, they also started and currently run Nonce Community, an open-source co-working, co-living Blockchain/Cryptocurrency space based on Proof-of-Work. Nonce community started as a few people who worked in this ecosystem living together in a 3 bedroom apartment and has since grown to a whole building which can currently accommodate upto 100 Blockchainers.
Tune in to hear about:
- Their fascinating background and what got them into crypto
- First Korean Blockchain Youtube channel they started – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsH44G5T4hHXYrb1aGUB1Gw
- Nonce Community – Blockchain community – co-living, co-working, open-source Blockchain community based on Proof-of-Work
- How they went from a 3 bedroom apartment to a building that can accommodate a 100 people
- Decentralised governance model for the community – decentralised way to make decisions including deciding who gets to stay
- How the environment was like initially
- An essay that inspired them (Tyranny of Structurelessness): https://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm
- Different verticals at Nonce Community: Tokeneconomics consulting, smart contract auditing, media and community management, fund and research arm
- Studio Decentral (Media arm): http://www.studiodecentral.org/
- See Eun’s views on the current perverse media model in the Blockchain/crypto ecosystem
- Other resources mentioned: Epicenter Podcast (https://epicenter.tv/), Let’s talk Bitcoin (https://letstalkbitcoin.com/)
- Gary Vee! – https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
- Fund – arbitrage, market making and ICOs – due diligence process and fund structuring
- Research – Whitepaper.foundation
- Scalability solutions and their trade-offs: Plasma, state channels and sharding
- Thoughts on scalability through centralisation of block production
- Thoughts on move from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake consensus mechanism
- Store of Value vs Tokens of protocols becoming store of value
- Bitcoin: Store of value vs medium of exchange
- Using Blockchain and Cryptocurrency to help society and the planet